Childbirth in a cat
Despite the fact that the birth of a cat is a natural process, the owner of the animal will have a lot of trouble. A cat living at home needs to create a special environment for the birth of offspring, if necessary, provide veterinary care, "meet" new residents and make sure that they and the mustachioed mother have enough nutrition.
- Signs of incipient labor
- Preparing for childbirth
- How cats give birth
- Features of the first childbirth
- Problems that may occur during the birth of a cat
- In which cases you need to urgently contact a veterinarian
- How to find out if all kittens were born
- End of labor
- How to take care of a cat after giving birth
- Postpartum problems
- Is it possible to sterilize a cat during childbirth
Signs of incipient labor
Pregnancy in cats lasts, on average, 60 days. But since each organism is individual, it is not possible to predict the exact date of the upcoming birth, even if the pet was brought together with the cat purposefully.
The most informative indicator is the following fact: before the birth begins, the cat's water and cork drain. It can be problematic to detect this phenomenon in time, since the expectant mother will lick herself, and not every owner will be able to be near her all the time. Therefore, you need to pay attention to other signs of approaching delivery:
- for a day or two, the mammary glands of the cat increase in volume, colostrum is secreted;
- the behavior of the pet changes – she becomes indifferent to food, meows a lot, can show aggression and hide, or, on the contrary, chase the owner on the heels;
- a few days before giving birth, the expectant mother is looking for a suitable hiding place for this;
- the cat often licks the stomach, genitals;
- there is a decrease in the pet's body temperature;
- approximately 5 hours before delivery, the spine of the animal acquires a characteristic bend.
Preparing for childbirth
You need to prepare thoroughly for childbirth. To do this, you will need not only to equip the place where the kittens will appear, but also to prepare some tools and materials that may be required in case of complications. In addition, you should take care of the availability of medicines at hand and be sure to write down the phone number of the veterinarian in order to be able to contact him at any time.
Arrangement of the "nest"
A large box is perfect for the temporary residence of a woman in labor and offspring. To make it easier for the cat to climb into it, one side can be made lower than the others. It is not recommended to make a slot along the entire height of the box to prevent the kittens from "escaping".
The bottom of the box can be closed with a rubber or foam mat, or a piece of similar material, oilcloth. This will protect the cardboard from accidental wetting. A cloth or a disposable diaper is placed on top.
It is desirable that the box should be in the place chosen by the cat, but, in most cases, moustached mothers prefer closets or the owner's bed. The place where the box will stand should be quiet, warm, secluded. It is necessary to accustom the pet to the "nest" gradually, putting water for drinking and food next to it. In the end, she will understand what is required of her and accept the proposed option.
Preparation of tools
By the time of delivery, items that may be needed if the situation takes an unexpected turn should be prepared:
- sterile rubber gloves;
- vaseline oil;
- antiseptic agent (zelenka);
- dishes for clean water;
- cotton swabs;
- syringes of different sizes;
- disposable diapers;
- pieces of cotton fabric (they need to be pre-washed and ironed).
All accessories must be in one place and in "combat readiness": be clean, disinfected.
In some cases, a mustachioed pet may need medical help, so in addition to tools, some medications should be prepared.
- Oxytocin. It will help with the sudden cessation of labor or weak labor activity. Helps to reduce the walls of the uterus. It is used in the form of injections into the withers area in a dosage of 0.2 ml.
- Traumatin. As soon as the woman in labor begins contractions, you can put an injection of this drug in a dosage of 1 ml. After the end of labor, the drug is used for the next three days, one injection per day. Traumatin eliminates pain, prevents the development of the inflammatory process, has an antimicrobial effect, reduces the likelihood of infectious complications.
- Calcium gluconate. In the form of an injection solution, it is used in a dosage of 1 ml for the normal course of labor and the prevention of eclampsia.
How cats give birth
Conditionally distinguish three stages of delivery in cats.
Directly the appearance of offspring occurs as follows:
- the animal pushes, contributing to the advancement of kittens outside;
- a kitten appears, it can come out both in the amniotic bladder and without it (in the process of passing through the birth canal, it often bursts);
- the mustachioed mother herself removes the remnants of the bubble from the cub, and then licks it, clearing the airways;
- a woman in labor does not immediately bite through the umbilical cord, and when the placenta comes out (it is important to count the afterbirth so that there are as many of them as the cubs, the placenta remaining in the uterus is the source of infection);
- the baby is applied to the nipple.
The cat, as a rule, eats the outgoing afterbirth. Placental tissue contains hormonal compounds and biologically active substances that facilitate contractions, promote milk production, and positively affect the recovery of the pet after labor. But you don't need to give her more than 2-3 – vomiting or diarrhea may appear.
Attention: a baby born after being licked by a cat should squeak. If this does not happen, you need to check if he is breathing, and if necessary, take appropriate measures.
Features of the first childbirth
The first birth is stressful for a cat. You should not rely only on nature, as the situation may get out of control. It is important that all the necessary materials, medicines and tools are ready by the time of delivery.
During childbirth, the cat needs to be supported morally: talk to her, calm her, stroke her. There are also cases of cannibalism among the representatives of cats, so you need to monitor the behavior of the pet when kittens appear. It happens that a tired woman in labor presses a newborn kitten with her body or does not want to lick it. Then the owner will have to remove mucus from the baby's respiratory tract with a syringe.
There is often a situation when kittens are born not with their muzzle forward, but with the back of their torso, or "get stuck" in the birth canal. There is nowhere to wait for help at such moments, so the owner must know how to deliver a cat and what to do in critical situations.
Problems that may arise during the birth of a cat
The table below shows the most common problems that arise during childbirth in cats and kittens, which the owner can overcome independently.
In which cases you need to urgently contact a veterinarian
During childbirth, critical situations may arise that can only be solved in a clinic. This:
- more than a day has passed since the first contractions;
- it is not possible to extract a stuck kitten from the birth canal by yourself;
- there are no harbingers of the onset of labor, although more than 65-70 days of pregnancy have passed;
- the cat has a high or, on the contrary, a low body temperature;
- the animal does not push and does not move, breathing is weak;
- contractions are strong, but the kitten does not appear;
- unpleasant-smelling contents with an admixture of pus and blood are released from the birth canal.
How to find out if all kittens were born
There may be a situation that after the appearance of the first kittens, childbirth seems to have stopped. However, the lull does not mean that all the cubs have come out – the cat can take a "pause" from fatigue. Ignoring kittens is a sign of ongoing labor activity. The duration of the break varies. The alarm should be sounded if the woman in labor does not pay attention to the offspring for a long time, her temperature rises, she does not get up and does not push at the same time.
You can check if the babies are still in the uterus by feeling the cat's stomach. As a rule, palpation allows you to accurately determine the presence of a kitten in the womb. With a positive test, you need to wait some more time, and if the birth does not continue, contact the clinic.
End of labor
Labor activity can be considered over if more than 2 hours have passed after the last contractions. The cat after giving birth behaves as follows:
- her breathing is restored – it becomes smooth and calm;
- she shows an active interest in newborns – licks them, turns them over;
- takes a different position, adjusts to the kittens to feed them;
- thirsty and hungry;
- goes to the toilet.
It is undesirable to take kittens in your arms, some mothers then refuse to accept cubs. The place where the birth took place needs to be put in order. To do this, the woman in labor and the offspring are carefully moved to a temporary litter, and after cleaning they are returned back. So that the pet does not leave the kittens for a long time, it is better to put the tray and bowls side by side.
How to take care of a cat after giving birth
The postpartum period is important both for the recovery of the woman in labor, and for the development of kittens who will be next to their mother for another 1-2 months. First of all, the pet needs to be provided with high-quality, high-calorie and balanced nutrition.
How to feed a cat after giving birth? If the animal was originally on industrial feed, then you need to choose such compositions that are suitable for nursing moustached mothers. In the case of a natural diet, the first two weeks preference should be given to products with easy digestibility: broth, lean meat, sour cream, porridge, cottage cheese, milk. Subsequently, fish and other familiar products are introduced. It is necessary to feed the pet at least 5-6 times a day.
Childbirth is left behind, but the owner must remain vigilant – the cat may have new problems. The table shows those that occur most often, and ways to solve them.
Is it possible to sterilize a cat during childbirth
If a cesarean section is performed on a cat according to indications, then the question arises whether it is possible to sterilize it immediately. Operative delivery in itself indicates problems in the reproductive activity of the animal, therefore, repeated pregnancy, as a rule, becomes undesirable. At the same time, it is impossible to carry out sterilization and childbirth at the same time – such an intervention poses a threat to the health and life of the cat. It is better to sterilize the pet after 3 months from the moment of delivery.
In most cases, the cat itself is able to cope with childbirth. However, there are also artificially bred breeds of feline representatives, whose body cannot bear such loads without outside help. The participation of the owner in the labor activity of the cat reduces the risk of postpartum complications in the woman in labor and ensures healthy offspring.